Thursday, March 24, 2011

Model Review... Dreadknight.





So, the Grey Knights are no longer the Daemon hunters, and their new codex will show players yet another reason to not play standard Space Marines. I have had a chance to read this codex, and will review it here in a few days, in the meantime lets discuss the new model that everyone seems to be chatting about. The Dreadknight.

Now, I like that GW has really ramped up their releases and remolding of mini's. I know its a marketing ploy, but anyone who has ever seen the 1st edition Ork models will appreciate that somethings are just plain better. Honestly, there aren't many models that get remolded that aren't exponentially better than the previous version. In the Dreadknights case, this isn't a remolding, but a brand new model.

Recently, the Fantasy Orcs and Goblins book was release, in hard cover... and the centerpiece mini for the new range was a GIANT spider. Simply an amazing model. Huge, menacing... this model makes the Army.
This is what I wanted from the Dreadknight. This is not what we got with the Dreadknight.

Now, I don't want to take much away from the model. It is impressive. But, does being impressive mean I like it? No. And the real issue is that I can't really point out why I don't like it... There isn't one big thing that stands out on the mini that makes me hate it... I just do. There I said it... I hate the damn thing.

Lets take a peek...
So, there it is... Its a Grey Knight, who can either have a Helmet, or be bare headed, basically piloting an exo-suit stolen from Avatar. Sure, it has all the Emperor holy jargon all over it... its laden with Faith symbols of the Impirium... But, to me... this thing needs to be in the Imperial Guard Army. It needs a Guards man, and the pilot needs to be enclosed under a transparent plastic canopy. This thing is just simply in the wrong army.

No, there's more wrong with it... its too tall for one. The hands look wrong. The way the forearm flairs out to the actual hand on the exo-suit looks bad. I really don't know... there isn't much I do like about this model. Viscerally its just wrong.

I guess if I have to rate the mini on a scale of 1-10, it gets a 3. I know many will disagree and thats fine. I can appreciate where others may like this model. It doesn't do it for me.

Look for the codex review in a few days, also coming up is a look at my Ork horde for 40k, and I'll continue my journey into the Warriors of Chaos I'm collecting. Next we'll look at Lords and Hero options for WoC, as well as possible a chat about the Hellcannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment