Saturday, January 14, 2012

Big smelly mans!

Jackie's obsession with Ogre Kingdoms has lead to an invasion of fat plastic men with sizable breasts! Seriously though, these models look even better up close than the pics on GW's website. Jackie spent most of the past few nights assembling her first unit of Ogre's. She did add a lot of the detail bits that come with the box set, though I warned her: Anything you glue on now, must be painted later. Don't add what you wont want to spend the time to make look good!

After I shook off the effects of her punch (Which would have really hurt if I had not blocked it with my face) I took a moment to appreciate her work. For a first time modeller she is taking to the task with an admirable enthusiasm. I hope that continues when the painting begins.

As far as gaming goes, she has another unit of Ogre's, a unit of Lead Belchers, a unit of Ironguts, and a Slaughtermaster to assemble (Hopefully done by Sunday evening) before she can commence serious gaming with her new mini's.

My Warriors of Chaos are another story. I am still painting Warrior models and prepping them for the big Dip. I used Testers flat red to spray the mini's, and that worked really well. Brown cloak, bone colors on the horns, metal here, brass there. My test model dipped well, and came out a deep maroon. I took a few minutes to highlight a few of the features. Added some lighter red around the eye holes on his helm for effect and am mostly pleased with the appearance. I wont win any painting competitions, but my models are not 3 color standard either.

I did manage to get a couple games in this past week. Once against an Ogre player and close friend named Randall, and once against a DoC player and bro-seph Chris.

Game 1, my introduction to 8th edition and the end of more than 4 years of Fantasy exile. Randall is a hard core gamer with a tournament history. He takes all aspects of the hobby seriously. His gamesmanship is tight, he stratagizes well, and his modelling and painting is superb. Randall is a guy I need to play a lot more.

The game... well, it went about as well as I thought it would. He kicked my ass. He was able to use his Leadbelchers to destroy my Knights of Chaos. His Ogres picked their spots, charged well and inflicted too many impact hits to handle. But most damning for me: The Greedy Fist! This thing sucks SOOO bad. My lvl 4 on a disk was a lvl0 before I even got to move him. Going to have to do some research and find a way to beat that spell/item combo. Very Deadly.

Game 2: Warriors of Chaos Vs Daemons of Chaos. Chris and I both tried a few different things with our lists for this match. I took a Hell Cannon, and he didn't run an actual Wizard. He decided to leave the magic phase in the hands of 2 big units of Pink Horrors, and ran a choppy Daemon Prince.

It was clear early that this was a mistake. My lvl 4 on Disk eliminated an entire unit of 30 Bloodletters on the first turn with Infernal Gateway. (This happened once more to one of his units of Horrors) I was able to completely dominate the magic phase, and the results were devastating. I won by 777 points, and he had just a single Flamer of Tzeentch left at the end of round 6.

What have I learned as I reintroduce myself to WHFB? Magic is key, Big units, or Big-ish units are a must, and I need to play a lot before Blood in the Sun. Not just play a lot. But play a lot of good players, and a lot of different armies.

Next post will have some pics of Jackies Ogres and my dipped Warriors.

3 comments:

  1. Solid! I take it you are an aggressive player like me. Here's my tips. They are not crucial to winning with the WoC, but if you take one hellcannon, then take two. I think they are too unreliable with just one.
    Knights, although fun, are a really big risk and never make up their points for me... 5 khornehole knights are 250 points and die almost as easily as 5 Warriors! 8th edition is about points denial(all or nothing)...big blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am learning! Thanks for reading, and thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips against the Greedy Fist: there are only two Death spells that actually do HITS and remove wizard levels from range. Those are the two you need to really worry about dispelling: Fate of Bjuna and Caress of Laniph. Caress can be boosted to 24" but Fate has a max range of 12".

    ReplyDelete